Located off South Carolina's coastline, Charleston is a city rich with history and idyllic southern charm. Check out MOSAICStyle's list of must-sees:
1. Stay: Market Pavillion Hotel. Located in the heart of Charleston's historic district, the Market Pavillion Hotel pairs old world charm, service and ambience with modern comforts in a luxurious setting.
2. Play: Chai's Lounge and Tapas. This Asian-inspired space blends unique tapas, cocktails and outdoor entertainment for those warm Charleston summer nights.
3. Eat: Poogan's Porch Restaurant. Nestled in the heart of downtown Charleston, this quaint old Victorian is the ideal setting for a unique dining experience. Named after the fabled little dog that was a fixture on its porch, this is an infamous spot to experience the region's signature "low country/southern cuisine". Make sure to try their shrimp and grits!
4. Shop: King Street's eclectic mix of shops and restaurants and the Old City Market, where local artisans and craftspeople sell their wares. A great place to buy authentic Gullah baskets that are typically weaved right at the market.
5. Visit: The Old Slave Mart Museum for a gripping pictorial of African history in the US. The Old Slave Mart, located on one of Charleston's few remaining cobblestone streets, is the only known extant building used as a slave auction gallery in South Carolina. Also check out the Gibbes Museum of Art's collection of Charleston, the "Lowcountry" and the American South culture from the colonial era through today.